Under the auspices of the ‘Women Development Scheme’ during the Third Five Year Plan, the Government of West Bengal established the College vide G.O.No. 2318-Edn(G) dated 6/10.7.1964, as a Govt. Sponsored College with the name “Sponsored Teachers’ Training College for Women”. It started its journey from the academic session 1964-65 with an intake of 40 (forty) women trainee under affiliation from the University of Burdwan.
The Institution has been affiliated by the UGC u/s 2(f) from its inception and considered eligible to receive central assistance through UGC u/s 12B.
The GOWB has permitted the College for ‘Co-education’ teaching from the academic session 1969-70 with an increased intake of 200. The College has been renamed as “Sponsored Teachers’ Training College, Purulia”.
The College has earned for itself, the reputation of being a premier institution for Teacher Education in the State of West Bengal.
The College has earned the Recognition from the NCTE w.e.f. the academic session 2003-04 for running the B Ed Course with an intake of 100 vide No. ERC/7-37(ER-37.6.1)/2003/1553(1) Dated August 11, 2003.
Validation of the B Ed Degree u/s 18B of the NCTE Act, 1993, has also been made for the students of this college who successfully completed the course from 1995-96 to 2002-03 vide No.ERC/WB-S/V-51/06/4794(1) dated 08.12.2006.